Monday, January 30, 2012

10 Day Challenge, Day 6; K is for Knits

Day 6: Decade or Region

For Freckles in April's 10 Day Winter Challenge, the challenge for today was to dress like a certain decade or region.  I chose to channel the 1950's.

vintage Simplicity pattern source

I thought the silhouette of this skirt was like that of the '50's, and with these accessories it made me feel straight out of Leave it to Beaver.  Wearing peep toe heels and my Grammy's vintage pearls almost made me want to vacuum!
 



Sweater - Ross, $17 (ouch - my most expensive clothing purchase in a long time)
Skirt and Flower - made by me
Hosiery - WalMart, $6 for 4 pack
Shoes - Mervyns, $10
Pearls - vintage from my Grammy

The buttons on the sleeves also make this outfit feel 1950's retro


This skirt is one of my favorite items I have made in recent months, and I didn't use a pattern.  I cut seven trapezoid shaped gores, sewed them together, added the hem and waistband, and finished it with a zipper.  It seemed too short at this point, so I added the lace and made a coordinating flower.

Freckles in April

This sweater is also knit, so I'm linking up to the ABC's of Fashion at Fashion's Greatest Hits, too after getting such a nice comment and invite on Friday.

IMG_4680-1 

12 comments:

  1. Very cute skirt! I love your heels too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It seems I'm not the only one who went with the 50's for this challenge. Love that skirt!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the photo shoot and your blog! Looking forward to continuing to follow your posts. Keep up the great blogging!

    Messy Jess C.
    http://messyjessc.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha, LOVE the vacuuming pose!
    Seriously though - you look adorable! And I want those shoes - they are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is adorable! I'm in love with your skirt and those flats are fabulous!

    See Me Rwar

    ReplyDelete
  6. The pic of you vacuuming is the best! Totally channeling the 50s housewife :) Love it!

    Cable Car Couture

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a sweet outfit. You got Donna Reed perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That skirt is adorable! I love the lace :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your 50s photoshoot, how clever!

    Such a pretty skirt, the lace on the time is lovely, the outfit looks very 50s without looking like a costume.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Goodness, you look so cute! I seriously thought that top pic was a painting for a minute.

    ReplyDelete